Thursday, November 08, 2007

Keeping things in perspective


Life involves struggle. For most people reading this blog, it's far less of a struggle than for the majority of the people on this planet. However, we all have days when life seems particularly difficult.

Here's a simple checklist to help put things in perspective.

- Stop what you're doing.

- If possible, go outside.

- Fill your lungs with air. Slowly breathe out. Repeat.

- Consciously relax your shoulders and neck.

- Assess your situation rationally.

- Focus on the good things in your life.

Of course, this won't make the bad things go away. But it does help to 're-centre' you for the tasks ahead.
------------

2 comments:

Mr Bill said...

OK - tried that...

My life was fine - I was watching telly and enjoying life.

I read the blog...

I stopped what I was doing.

I went outside and breathed in deeply, but the neighbour was having a bonfire. So my lungs were filled with smoke.

I slowly breathed out, but by this time my eyes were already watering.

I repeated.

By this stage, I was coughing uncontrollably and my eyes were now watering to the point where tears were streaming down my face.

I tried to consciously relax my shoulders, but as I was coughing and spluttering from the smoke I found even the simple act of relaxing impossible.

I assessed the situation rationally - or at least I thought it was rational.

I am now sitting in this police detention cell trying to focus on the good things in my life - such as the garden gnome that has made it's way to A&E with my neighbour.

Brett Jordan said...

What a comfort it is to know that people like you are policing our streets Mr Bill. (deep) sigh...